Have a Tile Roof? Here Are Some of the Problems You Should Look Out For
Tile roofs are very attractive to many homeowners. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing, but they last a long time and they can withstand the elements. However, like other types of roofs, they can develop problems. The sooner you can discover these issues and get them fixed, the better it will be. It’s likely to be an easier fix and you’ll have to spend less than if you waited until the problem got bigger. In this article, we’ll point out some of the tile roof problems that tend to occur. When you know the signs, you can contact a roofing contractor in Greenville, SC to do the repairs.
Some of the things you need to look out for are:
- Lots of rain and humidity can cause your roof vents and flashings to corrode. When these get damaged, water can get between the flashing and roof deck and into the home.
- Sliding and cracked tiles. When tiles begin to move or they develop cracks, this exposes the roof’s underlayment to harmful UV rays. This compromises the protective layer and if left unattended, the underlayment can quickly begin to deteriorate. This opens the door for water damage.
- Valley failure. Exposure to the elements can also result in valley failure. The older your roof is, the more likely this is to occur. When the valley fails, water can cause serious damage to your house.
- Roof edge and soffit damage. Water can dam at the edge of the roof behind the first row of tile. This often happens when the roof was improperly installed, and the water can’t drain properly. The trapped water can rot the roof deck, underlayment, and the roof’s supportive structure. If you see rust around your soffit, this may indicate that you have damage around the perimeter. Regular inspections by Greenville, SC contractors will help to ensure you discover these tile roof problems early.
Problems Which Can Shorten the Lifespan of Your Tile Roof
Tile roofs are known for their longevity. Concrete tiles usually last for 50 years or more while clay and slate can last for more than a century. However, you still need to ensure you get a high-quality roof that’s installed by experienced professionals. You should also make sure you pay attention to maintenance. Here some of the factors which can lead to problems with tile roofs.
- Inferior roofing materials. There’s a lot of demand for roofing materials and this has resulted in a flood of low-quality tiles. If you install roofing materials that aren’t ASTM-certified, your roof is unlikely to last as long as it should. You’ll also need to spend money on repairs frequently. Even though the initial installation may cost you less, it won’t be worth it in the long term.
- Inexperienced contractors. If you purchase high-quality tiles and put them in the hands of unlicensed or inexperienced contractors, you’ll regret it. You need to ensure you hire a professional, licensed and insured company with experience on roofs like yours. When you need repairs, you also need to contact the experts. Hiring a friend or a handyman can jeopardize the integrity of your roof.
- Tiles are made of porous materials and this makes them vulnerable to moisture and debris like twigs, leaves, and branches. You need to make sure you remove these materials from your roof consistently. Otherwise, they will cause the tiles to wear down and crack. The debris can also get under the tiles and damage the underlayment.
- Walking on the roof. Clay and concrete tiles can break if they are exposed to foot traffic. Clay is especially sensitive to weight. Do your absolute best not to walk on your roof or allow anyone to do so unless they’re a professional. They’ll know how to minimize the likelihood of damage.
- High winds can cause tiles to loosen or slide and expose the underlayment. Tree branches can also blow in the wind and give your tiles a beating. That’s why you need to check your roof after a storm and have a contractor inspect it annually.
Contact Lanier Roofing to Discuss Your Roofing Needs
Tiles roofs are great if you want to give your home a Mediterranean or Southwest-inspired look. They may even last for a lifetime. However, you need to ensure that you work with licensed contractors, use premium materials and inspect the roof regularly. If you need roof installation, maintenance or repair services, contact our Greenville roofers today! We offer high-quality service and a superior level of workmanship.