Should I Fix My Roof Leak Myself or Call a Professional?
A lot of us think we’re good at fixing stuff. This is especially true around the house. Also, we all love to save money. Sometimes, we think we can fix something ourselves and not pay a professional to do it. This is not always a good idea.
Your home is your biggest investment – aside from your college loans. Chances are, you want to stay in your home the rest of your life. This means you need to take care of it. Sometimes, that means paying to get things done right the first time.
When it comes to your house, your roof is the most expensive repair you may ever make. If you don’t catch things like small leaks early, you could end up needing a whole new roof later on. It’s a good idea to take care of these things right away.
As much as you may think fixing a water leak is something you can handle, think again. Unless you’re a professional roofer, think twice before you attempt to repair your leaks.
Things to Consider Before You Hire a Professional Roofer
So, now that you’ve decided to do the smart thing and hire a professional roofer, there are a few things you need to know. Don’t just open the phone book and pick a name at random. You want to do your homework before you call a roofer.
- Shop Around – Talk to a few companies before you pick a professional roofer. Ask them important questions. Let them know you’re talking to a few roofers. Ask them for some specifics when it comes to pricing and timeframe. Take notes so you can compare later on.
- Ask About Price – A lot of people hate to admit that they care about price. They think they’ll look cheap if they ask how much it’s going to cost. Don’t worry about impressing your roofer. Worry about getting a quality service and keeping as much money in your pocket as possible.
- Use quality materials – Ask the professional roofer what materials they use. Ask if you have options when it comes to these materials. You don’t want to go for bargain basement pricing if it means you’re using sub-par materials. You want the repair to last.
- Get a true timetable – You want to get your repairs done fast. You don’t want to hire a roofer and have him put the job off for weeks and months on end. Ask exactly when they’ll be able to get your job completed. Ask how many days it will take to fix, and when they can start. Don’t be afraid to pinpoint them to a certain deadline.
- See if you can save any parts of your roof – Most of the time, you’ll be able to keep the lower layer on your roof. This will save you a good deal of money. Make sure you talk to your professional roofer about this. Otherwise, he may strip off the whole thing. This will mean more money for him.
Make Sure You Read What You Sign
Once you decide on a professional roofer, you need to sign a contract. Any roofer who tells you there is nothing to sign may not be legitimate. Any qualify roofing company is going to ask you to sign an agreement. It could be a simple one-page contract. As long as there’s something in writing confirming the work to be done and the price, you should be okay.
Make sure you read what you sign. A lot of people sign the form without really looking at it. Just make sure you read it. If anything is unclear, ask questions. A professional roofer isn’t going to refuse to do your job because you asked him to explain the bill.
Make sure you hold the roofer to the agreement. If the job is supposed to be done in three days and a week goes by with no work, say something. If you give the impression that he can walk all over you, that’s what will happen. He’ll do other jobs and put yours on the back burner. A reputable professional roofer won’t do that.
Contact Lanier Roofing Today for an Estimate
If you need some repairs made to your roof, you should contact Lanier Roofing today. Lanier prides itself on their professionalism and customer service. They do quality work for fair prices. Call and ask them to come out and take a look at your roof. They’ll give you a reasonable estimate and answer any questions you may have.