What Type of Damage Can A Hailstorm Do to my Roof?
When you think about things that can cause roof damage, tornados and hurricanes quickly come to mind. However, the wind isn’t the only thing you have to worry about. Summer storms in humid climates like those of the south-eastern United States can also bring rain and hail. Hail damage can be just as serious as that caused by a hurricane. If you want to be prepared, read on to find out exactly what hail can do to your roof. You’ll also learn how to identify signs of roof damage and take steps to prevent it.
Damage Roofing Contractors in Greenville, SC Frequently See
The hail damage that your roof sustains will depend partly on what the roof is made of. If you have asphalt or composite shingles, you may notice:
- Soft spots in areas where the hailstones hit
- Damage which shows no specific pattern
- Black divots
- Shiny asphalt
- Missing granules that expose the roof felt
If you have wooden shingles, you’ll likely see:
- Random damage
- A split that’s brown or orange
- A split with sharp edges and corners
- A split with little or no deterioration at the edges
- Dents or marks along the splits
In addition to damage caused by hail hitting the roof, hailstorms can cause other problems. These storms often bring high winds, and debris can cause significant roof damage. Trees, poles, and power lines can fall on the roof and damage the structure. If your roof already had defects, high winds can make things worse. Another concern is heavy rainfall. When water accumulates rapidly on your roof, the drainage system may become compromised. As a consequence, the weight of the water can damage the roof.
Not all the damage will be immediately visible, so you won’t always know how much your singles were affected. Hail can cause premature aging of your roof and the damage may not show up until months or years later. That’s why it’s important to have a professional roofing contractor assess the damage.
What Determines the Amount of Hail Damage
The amount of damage caused by a hailstorm can vary greatly depending on several factors. These include:
- Building materials – Hail can cause small dings in asphalt shingles and aluminum siding or gutters. However, it can crack wood shakes or vinyl siding. Some hailstones can so dense that they puncture the roof. Often, the age and condition of the roof contribute to the degree of damage.
- Wind – the location and severity of hail can be due to wind speed and wind direction.
- Size and density of the hailstones – Some hailstones can be as large as a softball and if these hit your roof, the damage can be significant. Many hailstones have jagged edges, and this can worsen the damage.
- Presence of barriers – Fences, tree cover, and some landscaping features can help to cushion the impact of hail on your roof.
Advice from Greenville Roofers on How You Can Safeguard Your Home
Severe storms can rip through your area quickly and leave significant damage in their wake. Knowing what to do can help you to limit the problems. To minimize damage to your home from hail, there are several steps you can take before, during and after the storm. Some of the things you should do include:
- Checking trees and shrubs for infestation, disease, and rot so you can remove hazards well ahead of time.
- Keep drains and gutters clear so they can handle large volumes of water.
- Get cracks around the chimney and vent pipes sealed.
- Check for damage skylights, flashes, and the roof membrane as soon as bad weather passes.
If you’re in doubt about how to prevent damage or repair it, reach out to professional Greenville roofers for assistance.
You may be wondering if you will have to replace your entire roof if a few shingles get damaged by hail. You can replace the individual shingles which show signs of damage. If the damage is limited to one roof plane, it may be enough to simply remove that plane. However, your roofer may recommend a complete roof replacement since it can be difficult to determine how surrounding shingles were impacted.
Get in Touch with Lanier Roofing Today to Discuss Your Hail Damage
Whether you need a roof inspection, roof maintenance or roof repairs, the professionals at Lanier Roofing can help. We have an experienced team and we can provide all the guidance you need. If you think your roof has been damaged, contact us to schedule a visit. We’ll quickly identify the problem and rectify it with high-quality materials. You’ll always get excellent customer service and excellent workmanship.